Monday, August 30, 2010

The Glamour of Grammar

I appreciated Joaquin's list for editing one's own writing - especially "Drown Your Darlings"!

I was interested to see in the August 22 New York Times Book Review, a review of a new book--The Glamour of Grammar: A Guide to the Magic and Mystery of Practical English, by Roy Peter Clark. I don't know anything about Roy Peter Clark, but it sounds like it might be interesting. The reviewer calls it "a grammar book for the 21st century--a little more earthy, a little more relaxed." He also says "Clark wholeheartedly endorses breaking the commandments that make no sense, as long as in the breaking, the writing still holds up." When I have more time, I think this may deserve a look.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Sounds like a wonderful book. If and when you read it, please write a little review for us.