Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Editing vs. Proofreading

After class today I was thinking about the differences between our copyediting marks and our proofreading marks. My question: If we are using proofreading marks do we always use them in addition to the copyediting marks? For example, you couldn't use the proofreading mark alone to transpose text. You need the copyediting mark to indicate which text is to be transposed and then you can include the proofreading mark in the margin to indicate that something needs to be transposed on that line.

Comments?


I also did some googling, and the title link is to an article that differentiates copyediting and proofreading.

3 comments:

Pat said...

Thanks, Samantha. I'm reading the article now. Just came across this run-on sentence:

"He will clarify ambiguity and poor wording, but he will only be heavy-handed when he has been asked to do so, otherwise he risks coming across as petty."

Chad said...

I first thought that perhaps the author intended to commit that error to see if her readers are paying attention. After all, the error does occur in a passage about sentence sense. ;)

But then, in an interesting bit of irony, the very next paragraph contains this gem:

"Quality editing doesn’t necessarily involve proofing or copyediting, however a good editor will correct any obvious errors she comes across."

So, now I'm not so sure!

Pat said...

Samantha, I hope the discussion we had today helped to clarify the difference between copyediting and proofing. Please let me know if you have further questions. Thank you :-)