Monday, October 15, 2007

Exercise 5/test 2

I wanted to go over the answers to exercise 5 last Friday because they relate directly to test 2. (This is the handout that has the number 33 in the lower right-hand corner.) Because I missed my chance last week, I thought I'd post something today.

There are several kinds of errors in this exercise:

typographical
spelling
grammatical
stylistic
punctuation

A few of you seem to have trouble distinguishing among the different kinds of errors. I've therefore listed them by sentence:

Sentence 1: spelling and typographical errors

Sentence 2:
grammatical and punctuation errors

Sentences 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8: grammatical errors (subject-verb, pronoun-antecedent, vague antecedent, dangling participles, shift in person, shift in verb tense)

Sentences 9, 10, 11, 12: punctuation errors

Sentence 13: grammatical error (faulty parallelism)

Sentences 14, 15, 16:
stylistic error (wordiness, redundancy)

Sentences 17, 18: grammatical error (smothered verbs, use of passive voice)

Sentence 19: stylistic error (lapse in diction, use of slang)

Please let me know if you have any questions.

No comments: